Friday, July 23, 2004

Sometimes I Hate To Be Right

Sometimes I hate to be right when it comes to common sense.  Many times, many friends insisted to be positive and think positive.  I try not to do that.  I try to be positive when common sense dictated that it is to be so.  If common sense said it is not going to work, I steer clear of this subject and avoid being positive. 
 
When 9/11 occurred, it was horrible.  I was in D.C. when it happened, so much drama.  This, there and that.  Then the next few days, the stories emerged from different parts of the country.  I always thought the Flight 93 that crashed in Pennsylvania was bit odd.  I chose not to say anything because it was so sensitive. 
 
Why odd?  I thought that the passengers "stopped" the terrorists was ... just an American story.  Americans love heroes.  Americans love to believe in something sensible.  Americans love the tragic but yet so happy endings. 
 
Now with the 9/11 commission report coming out, it flatly said that the passengers never stopped the terrorists on the Flight 93.  The terrorists had a back-up plan, that is what I always thought all along.  There are two plans.  One to strike something, one to kill themselves. 
 
No, the passengers did not even enter the cockpit at all.  If I was the pilot, I would rock the plane so violently to prevent the passengers from reaching me ... that is what they did. 
 
But look at the bright side, the passengers' determination forced the terrorists to kill themselves, rather than to crash into a building.  That is something that we can sigh with a relief -- that someone was trying to do something.
 
I cannot imagine what it is like to be the passengers during these dark times.  But common sense dictates that it was an uphill battle to begin with.
 
R-

No comments: