Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Who Is Carrie?

When I was a student at Gallaudet, I used the VAX WhatsupX Notes Confab, there was a gal who kept on using these words: Facinorous grin. My roommate from California said that there is no such word for facinorous. We searched through some dictionaries and asked Carrie in whatsupX Notes Confab that there is no such thing as "facinorous". She said that it is an old English word. Sure enough, we found it.

Later, we met in person ... long story. But I did not care much for her. She stared at me as if I was evil. I smirked. I was on the floor, peeking out of my bedroom. It was silly thing. But one thing led to the other, Carrie and I talked.

And hung out. Carrie can talk very well and can hear. She said she is Hard of Hearing. I shook my head. I said, "You're Deaf."

She shook her head, "No, I can speak and hear a little, therefore I am Hard of Hearing."

I said, "Stop it, Carrie. You are Deaf even if you can hear a little and speak very well. There are many Deaf people in the past who can hear and speak but they call themselves Deaf."

It is all about pride and confidence, really.

IN that semester, we hang out together so much to a point where she has to go back home, she objected to her parents that the television set must have the captions at all times. Good for her.

From there, we are pretty good friends. We do almost everything together during the year. Remember Cowden thing? Amazing. Remember the jerk-off? And all that stuff.

Today, I'm proud that Carrie is able to stand up and say, "Fuck you, I am Deaf and don't you call me HoH!"

Cheers,

R-

No comments: