Saturday, April 24, 2004

Last December 17, 1960

This morning, Chris and I strolled down to the Post Office here in Park Slope then walked to the local diner on 7 Avenue and 7th Street. Chris is hearing and charming dude. We had a nice breakfast but something caught my eye. I saw the ancient newspaper being framed on the walls of the diner.

Last December 17, 1960, two airplanes collided and crashed at *this* very spot. I was the VEE at the whole thing. Only one survived, 11-year old boy, 128 were killed. It appears that there was a miscommunication that caused two planes to collide and burn up the residential area.

Oh, gosh. I live on 14 Street and 7 Avenue. Only 7 blocks away was the site of an airplane crash. See? It can happen anywhere else. Even on your roof.

It is interesting to find out now before I move to Manhattan next week.

R-

No comments: