Wednesday, March 17, 2004

"GOOD NEWS, CITIZENS OF OZ!! WICKED IS DEAD!"

Last night, it snowed heavily in the region, created a lot of wet, slushy shit around the city. But did it stop me from going to see the Broadway play called "Wicked"? No.

The musical play, "Wicked" is based on the novel by Gregory Maguire. The play is directed by Joe Mantello.

When I entered the Gershwin Theatre, I was impressed with the build-up approach to the theatre, everywhere I see is green. Lights, walls -- you can feel the hype about Green. The novel talked about the most misunderstood character of all, the Wicked Witch of the West in the Wizard of Oz. It is certainly good place to VEE VEE and VEE.

Before the play started, Joe Santini and I went to the bar to get a cup of wine to pep ourselves up for the play. When we entered the theatre, I is the VEE at the stage -- it must cost nearly a million dollar to do the works.

As you know, I am dramatic person when I want (or have to). I will cause a scene if things do not look good. They provide interpreters in front of the stage, but I sit at J25, that is pretty far away from the interpreter's position. And what's even worse was that the first 3 or 4 rows was reserved for hearing ASL students, then 4th or 5th row to 15th row are for Deaf people!

My group was pissed off about this seating arrangement. My friend, Kate objected. Then the lady came over with an interpreter, Christina Turnzo-Mosleh. I told the lady in charge that it is not right that deaf people sits behind hearing people and having a difficult time seeing the interpreter (I used the term, "STRAIN OUR EYES FAR DOWN THERE!"). The lady said, "I'm sorry, but there is nothing I can do at this time."

Her fatal mistake, my dear friends. As many of my close friends already knew the Truth, that line sets me off. I chortled, "That line is so insensitive." I stared at the interpreter, she stared at me whether if she should say that, I told her, "Say it to her, do it." She interpreted. She stared at me with a gasp.

Then I cracked a line, "I guess if I have a hard time seeing the interpreter from here, I will make sure that I stand up during the performance for a better view, regardless if there are people behind me who feels I was blocking their view because I paid the ticket to see and understand the play."

Christina Trunzo-Mosleh stared at me then interpreted. Joe could not believe what I said. I was tough, wicked bitch. I stared at the lady. The lady could not believe that I made such a threat, "No, no, come with me." She scrambled to transfer me and Joe down to third row and we had a great view of interpreters and the close-up of the stage.

So ... it works, my children. With a direct threat, people caved in. However, you know that I'm picky with plays. The opening minutes must, in my view, win the audience or it flops, case closed. Just an A or F, no betweens.

"Wicked" is termed as the "Best Musical of the Year" by many local papers in New York -- sure enough, the opening minutes of the play were absolutely stunning and explosive as the citizens of Oz ran around and sung, "GOOD NEWS! WICKED IS DEAD! WICKED IS LIAR! THE UGLY WITCH IS DEAD! NO ONE MOURNS THE WICKED!"

I was the VEE, VEE and VEE!!! I was sitting three rows away from three interpreters -- one cute guy named Alan Champion, he signed the song with a passion and inadvertently pointed at me as the wicked when he said, "THERE WICKED IS DEAD, THERE WICKED LIAR, THERE WICKED IS UGLY GREEN!" -- I turned to Joe and said, "Yeah, I am Wicked."

Idina Menzel performed as Elphaba, or the WICKED. She was absolutely GREAT. So did Laura Bell Bundy as Galinda or later known as Glinda. I need to molest Norbert Leo Butz. He is so hot.

I was mesmerized with the play. The conclusion of the play also ended with a bang. Overall, Wicked is exhilarating, feel-good and cool. It guarantees to make you smile when you emerged from the theatre.

In fact, I told Alan Champion that I was wounded that he called me the Wicked. He said he noticed later in the play that he kept on pointing at me and realized it. And grinned, profusely apologizing. Told him that I like being called that, though. I can relate to Elphaba! As Web later said, "Why must he apologize? You are wicked!"

When we came out of the theatre, we saw an amusing billboard right before exiting the building, it reads: "You Are Now Leaving Oz. Here You Enter Reality. Please Drive (Or Fly!) Carefully."

What can you do but to smile?

Let's be wicked today! After all, she is green and today is St. Patrick's Day! Let's be WICKED!

GOOD NEWS, CITIZENS OF OZ! THE WICKED IS DEAD! HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!

*chuckling*

R-

No comments: