Saturday, October 24, 2020

About Steve Florio, Kappa Gamma and CSDR ...

Someone asked me about the incident with Steve Florio's dismissal of his job as Commissioner for Massachusetts Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing after he was placed on administrative leave after I posted the image of him doing the nazi salute with his Kappa Gamma brothers back in 1989 on my blog.

My response?  It was a long overdue. It was necessary and justified. Many people do lost their jobs after they did do the racial things so why treat Deaf people differently?  

Patrick Costello, Bill Millios and now Steve Florio were dismissed from their jobs. Many are still holding their jobs.  One asked me if I felt bad for them, my answer was simply ... no, not at all. I had been trying to get jobs at many deaf-run functions and these people managed to keep me jobless for a long time. Now I'm doing well on my own, do I really feel bad for them? Fuck, no.

The worst and biggest joke is in Riverside where the California School for the Deaf-Riverside (CSDR) Superintendent Nancy Hlibok-Amann (herself Phi Kappa Zeta, her brothers, husband and children are members of Kappa Gamma) announced that an investigation on the image where one of her staff members, Timothy Hile, showed him doing the Nazi salute back in 2006, has concluded and that there was no wrongdoing on Tim Hilo's part and that he is to resume his job at CSDR. 

This is coming from the person who has surrounded herself with the connections of Phi Kappa Zeta/Kappa Gamma and she handled the investigation without a touch of bias?  Really? 

I have to break this news to you all - many Deaf people considered CSDR, CSD, TSD, ISD, MSSD and MSD as one of the best Deaf schools in the nation.  Except that it is not exactly true.  If you check CDE's website and do the comparisons, you would realize that the worst public (elementary) school in Los Angeles County has fared better than CSDR and CSD altogether. 

So each time they roll out the graduates of CSDR/CSD, I always smirk to myself.  Little did they realize that they thought they were all that smart when they were taught by incompetent staff members at these schools as evidenced by CDE's website.

Cheers,

R-

No comments: